Negotiable / Cowbridge
3-4 Sessions per week (4 hours 10 minutes per session). Ideally Tuesday and Thursday
SALARY: Negotiable depending on experience and skills. To include annual professional expenses supplement between £1000-£4000 (for indemnity, CPD & Professional expenses).
CONTRACT: Contract will be in line with recommendations made within the model Salaried GP Contract see www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/contracts/sessional-and-locum-gp-contracts/salaried-gp-model-contract
DURATION: Maximum 5 years (reviewed annually)
CLOSING DATE: 20 January 2020
A rare opportunity has arisen for a GP Retainer to join the multi-disciplinary team at Western Vale Family Practice and work with us as we develop the Practice and MDT.
The Retainer scheme is aimed at Doctors who are seriously considering leaving or have left general practice due to personal reasons (caring responsibilities or personal illness), approaching retirement or requiring greater flexibility. The scheme supports both the retained GP and the practice employing them by offering financial support in recognition of the fact that this role is different to a ‘regular’ part-time, salaried GP post, offering greater flexibility and educational support.
Retained GPs may be on the scheme for a maximum of five years with an annual review each year to ensure that the doctor remains in need of the scheme and that the practice is meeting its obligations.
This scheme enables a doctor to remain in clinical practice for a maximum of four clinical sessions (16 hours 40 minutes) per week – 208 sessions per year, which includes protected time for continuing professional development and with educational support.
The Practice is experienced at supporting Retainers and this position has arisen as a result of our current retainer being offered a salaried position following five years with our Practice.
The Doctors and staff at Western Vale Family Practice are proud to offer the highest standard of patient-centred healthcare. We are a friendly, caring and forward thinking Practice. We provide quality services to a patient population of over 11,000 patients across the Western Vale of Glamorgan. We also undertake the vocational training of General Practitioners, Medical Students and Practice Nurses.
Our main site, which is also our administrative centre, is in the purpose developed Health Centre in Cowbridge and we have branch surgeries in Llantwit Major Health Centre and St Athan.
We offer a range of NHS and Private Services in the Practice, via our multidisciplinary and highly skilled team. We currently have five GP Partners, two Salaried GPs, two Nurse Practitioners, two Practice Nurses (1 Trainee), Nursing Assistant (Carer and Memory Champion) a Practice Pharmacist and Pharmacy Technician, Cluster Pharmacist, Mental Health Worker and Physiotherapist. We also employ around 20 members of staff across Management, Administrative and Reception areas.
As a GP Retainer at Western Vale Family Practice, you will work as part of an established and supportive team undertaking a range of GP duties with excellent opportunities for continued professional development, mentorship and support for your career and/or specialist interests.
As a Practice, we aim to ensure that staff are appropriately trained and confident in the work they do and we provide opportunities to continuously learn develop and gain job satisfaction. We will specifically provide you with:
- A contract of employment with Terms and Conditions in line with the model Salaried GP contract
- Adequate and appropriate induction, both on joining and after any significant break (e.g. maternity leave).
- Nominated clinical colleague(s) to act as an educational and clinical mentor, who will provide one-to-one support in protected time
- Job plan suitable for your individual needs
- Invitations to practice-based, Cluster and Health Board events, including practice meetings, in-house training, in protected time, using the CPD allowance as appropriate and agreed, with reference to learning needs as established at appraisal
- accommodation in a consistent room (whenever possible)
- wide-ranging services and patient demographics/needs to enable you to maintain skills across the full spectrum of GP work.
The scheme is open to Doctors who demonstrate ALL of the following criteria in their application:
- Must hold full GMC registration with a license to practice and be on the Welsh Medical Performers List
- Be eligible to work unrestricted in general practice i.e. no conditions or undertakings on their licence to practice, except those relating solely to health matters
- Intend to return to independent general practice within a maximum 5 years (depending on their circumstances e.g. not applicable to doctors that intend to retire)
- Show that a regular part-time role does not meet the doctor’s need for flexibility, for example the requirement for short clinics or annualised hours
- Where there is a need for additional educational supervision. For example a newly qualified doctor needing to work 1-4 sessions a week due to caring responsibilities, or those working only 1-2 sessions where pro-rata study leave allowance is inadequate to maintain continuing professional development and professional networks
For an informal discussion about the opportunity, please contact
- Mr Simon Davies, GP Partner email@example.com arrange a convenient date/time;or
- Rhian Floyd, Practice Manager 01446 777010 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Retainer scheme - https://www.walesdeanery.org/gp-appraisal/gp-retainer-scheme
- Western Vale Family Practice - www.cowbridgedoctors.com
How to apply
Please complete the GP retainer application form see - www.walesdeanery.org/gp-appraisal/gp-retainer-scheme and send it with a covering letter, to Rhian Floyd Practice Manager Rhian.email@example.com 12pm on Monday 20 January 2020.
This position is not currently open to new applicants.